The Superior Hiking Trail in Duluth
Linking people with nature by footpath along Lake Superior's North Shore.
Copyright Tim Larson
The Superior Hiking Trail is a long distance footpath on the ridgeline overlooking Lake Superior. The trail features cascading creeks, beautiful forests and glorious views. The trail is built and maintained by the non-profit, member-based Superior Hiking Trail Association.
SHTA has completed a 43-mile trail section through Duluth and it's now ready for your hiking enjoyment! This trail segment features Jay Cooke State Park, Ely�s Peak, Bardon�s Peak, the Magney-Snively old growth forest, Spirit Mountain, Enger Park, views of the St. Louis River and Lake Superior, the Lakewalk, UMD's Bagley nature trails, and Hartley Park.
***TRAIL CLOSURES*** Jay Cooke State Park and Fond du Lac Trailheads remain closed following flooding in June 2012. The rest of the sections in Duluth are open but see section notes for detour and reroute information.
This page includes maps of the new sections and a mile-by-mile description of the trail, including directions to the trailhead parking lots. The trail is a narrow natural soil trail marked with blazes and directional signs. Blue blazes are main trail and white blazes are spur or overlook trails. Changes in trail direction are marked by two rectangles with the top blaze showing the direction to turn. The trail is foot travel only unless another use is specifically permitted on a section of trail.
For your hike, either print out the directions and maps below, or pick up a brochure at the following locations in Duluth:
1. Jay Cooke State Park, Park office
2. Thompson Hill Rest Area, 1-35 S/Boundary Ave Exit
6. Willard Munger Inn, 7408 Grand Ave
8. Duluth Pack Store, 365 Canal Park Dr
9. Visit Duluth in Canal Park, Gift Shop for Vista Fleet
11. Visit Duluth Main Office, 21 W Superior St, Suite 100
12. Depot Visitor Center, 506 W Michigan St
13. Duluth City Parks & Rec Dept, 4th St/Lake Ave
15. Hartley Nature Center, 3001 Woodland Ave
18. Trailfitters, Fitger's,600 E Superior St
19. Lester River Visitor Center, Hwy 61 E
Trail Description for 39 Miles of Superior Hiking Trail in Duluth.
Back to Home